Frequently asked questions

Home insurance

976 991 198 / 902 499 300

1. What is meant by "buildings" and "contents"? 

The terms "buildings" refers to the value of the property, i.e. the physical structure: foundations, wall, doors, windows, and ceilings, including adjacent structures, including patios, garages, terraces, swimming pools, sports facilities, and other fixed installations (heating, water, light, and gas supplies, solar panels, etc.).

The term “contents” refers to items of personal property, such as furniture (including fixed kitchen and bathroom furniture), clothes, books, music, decorative objects, household items, electrical appliances, computers and technology, jewellery, etc. that are found inside the insured property and are owned by the policyholder, family members, or people who live in the home.

2. How do you calculate the value of the building and contents?

To calculate the value of the building and the cost of insurance, we need to know: Type of property, constructed area, quality of the property, and the province where it is located.

The capital is subscribed for the entire property (including the quota share of the co-ownership if the property belongs to a community governed by horizontal property regulations).

Regarding the value of contents, DKV EcoHogar covers replacement costs in accordance with the general terms and conditions. However, to do this, policyholders (as it is their own subjective evaluation), with the help of a broker or at their nearest insurance branch, must establish sufficient funds to replace all the contents of their home in the event of a claim, including fixed kitchen and bathroom furniture.

Since fixed kitchen and/or bathroom furniture forms part of the contents, for an average flat which is the policyholder's main residence and is inhabited by three or four people, we suggest that you insure the contents for at least 25,000 to 30,000 euros.

3. How do I insure jewellery and objects of special value?

  • Jewellery (jewels, precious stones, watches, gold coins, etc.): With DKV, you have the advantage that when you insure your home contents, 10% of this capital is included for normal or usual jewellery in an average home. When the total value of the jewellery exceeds 10% of the total contents of your home, with an upper limit of 6,000 euros, this excess may be covered if the policyholder expressly requests it and pays the corresponding premium. In addition, you must take inventory of any pieces of jewellery with an individual value of over 2,000 euros.
  • Objects of special value: Paintings, silver cutlery, sculptures, coin and stamp collections, furs, etc. Objects of special value must be included in the inventory if their individual or total value exceeds 3,000 euros.

4. What does my insurance policy cover?

It is important that you obtain information from your broker or at your nearest insurance branch about the different types of insurance that we offer adapted to your needs. In Home Insurance  you can choose the policy that best suits your needs. Our insurance product range includes Plus (the most advanced policy), Complet (offering extensive coverage), and Basic (basic coverage at an affordable price). Lastly, we also offer a fire insurance plan aimed at meeting the mortgage requirements of banking institutions.

5. What services are included in my policy?

  • 24-hour DKV Home Assistance: we are at your disposal to help with any home emergency.
  • Handyman Service: we offer professional help for a wide range of household jobs.
  • Household appliance repair service: we have increased the workmanship warranty to 7 years.
  • Ecological services: providing a healthy environment and good sustainability practices in the home.
  • Access to the DKV Health and Wellbeing Club: medical and well-being services at special prices for subscribers.
  • Computer and Technology Assistance Service: Do you need help with the technological advances? An expert will advise you.
  • 24-hour psychological telephone assistance.

6. I am a tenant. Do I need to take out insurance?

If you are a tenant, it is also essential to have liability insurance to protect yourself against damages that you may cause to the property of the owner or third parties (neighbours, etc.). By insuring the contents or furniture of the home, you also protect yourself from the risks of liabilities. However, you must bear in mind that if, for example, there is a fire in the kitchen, in addition to the damages caused to the property, there may also be damage (e.g. smoke) to the inner courtyard of the building or other homes. The injured third parties or their insurance companies will hold you responsible for the damages caused. Therefore, the most important form of coverage to have is liability insurance, which is included when you insure the contents of your home. When you insure the contents, you must value your personal belongings as well as the items under your responsibility in the home. In other words, you must include all the contents of the home including fixed kitchen furniture.

7. I have taken out a homeowners association insurance policy. Do I need to take out home insurance?

Of course, you can insure your home if you wish. Generally speaking, homeowners association insurance policies cover the communal areas of a building. However, areas that are the exclusive property of the policyholder are not covered. Therefore, contrary to what you might think, although homeowners association insurance covers the building, this does not mean that all parts of the building are automatically insured. Therefore, it is necessary to insure the property as it is not covered by the homeowners association insurance. Likewise, damage to the home is not covered by certain insurance policies. As if this were not enough, your civil liability as an occupant of the property is not covered either. Therefore, private insurance is necessary if the occupant, owner or tenant wants peace of mind and to properly protect both their home and their liabilities to third parties.

8. What does my civil liability insurance policy cover?

In general, it covers the liabilities that we have to face due to potential material or personal damages caused to third parties. These damages can arise from being the policyholder or homeowner, and are insured when you take out buildings insurance. For example: breakage of pipes causing damage to the floor below; a tile falling off the roof of your single-family house causing damages to a parked vehicle; or damages to flats in a building due to an explosion. When you insure the contents of your home, you also cover your personal liability and that of your family living with you, including your children, regardless of their age, provided that their main residence is the insured property. In addition, it includes actions in the capacity of head of the family, contracting party of minor works, sportsperson, owner and user of vehicles without an engine, owner of boats, camping, pedestrian, owner of pets, company owner, etc.

9. Is dog liability included? 

If you have insured the furniture or contents of your home, this also covers the liabilities that you may incur as a dog owner, with the exception of dogs deemed dangerous by the law.

10. What should I do in the event of an incident?

If you have had an accident or require the services of a specialist, such as a plumber for a water leakage, a glazier for a broken window, or a locksmith because you have locked yourself out of the house, you can use DKV's 24-hour home assistance services (depending on whether you have insured the building and/or contents, and which coverage you have purchased). To access the service, simply call: 976 991 198 o 902 499 300.

11. What happens in the event of an accident and my capital is lower than it should be?

If you have insured your belongings for less than their real value (underinsured), the insurance company, in the case of a partial claim, can apply the proportional rule. This means that your damages or losses will be compensated in the same proportion of your capital compared to the amount that you should have insured. For example: if your personal property were insured at 60% of their correct value, the compensation that you will receive will equate to 60% of the amount that you would have received if you had insured them at 100%. In the event of a total loss, the company will compensate you for the maximum amount that you have insured in your policy. However, DKV applies a margin of tolerance and, therefore, does not apply this rule if the differences are not clear.

12. Can I make changes to my policy before it matures? 

You can modify some aspects of your policy: increase or decrease capital, include jewellery or objects of special value, modify risk situation, etc.

13. Can I pay my home insurance in instalments?

On maturity or when taking out the policy, you can choose from three payment methods: annual, half-yearly or quarterly. The net premium per payment must be equal to or above 50 euros.